From the People Who Brought California Prop 59, The Overturn Citizens United Act
NOW IN THE CA ASSEMBLY: AB 83 The Get Foreign Money Out of California Elections Act
Did you know that foreign investors currently own 40% of shares of US corporations? And did you know that 98% of the S&P 500 US corporations qualify as "foreign influenced"!
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO PASS AB 83!
- Sign the Petition
- Read the Author's Fact Sheet about AB 83
- Read the MOVI Fact Sheet about AB 83
- Read the MOVI Talking Points about AB 83
- See the Sample Organizational Support Letter
- US Election Code prohibits direct and indirect contributions of foreign money into US elections. (52 U.S. Code § 30121)
- Citizens United v FEC (2010) created a loophole for foreign money to slide in anyway. Now it's an avalanche.
- 40% of all shares held in US corporations are owned by foreign investors! 40%! (It was 5% in 1982.) That's outrageous.
- The California Legislature must bring California into compliance with US Code and get the foreign money out of our elections.
- Close the loophole! Get Foreign Money Out of California Elections.
- FIND your California AssemblyMember and Senator
Last year's version of the bill, AB 1819, was endorsed by The League of Women Voters of California. Watch their statement in support of AB 1819 in the clip below. In this April 2022 hearing AB 1819 was passed out of the Assembly Elections Committee.
US Code clearly prohibits foreign money in US elections. Citizens United v FEC opened our elections to foreign money and influence through foreign investors who now hold over 40% of all shares in US corporations. The result has been precisely what our founders feared.
- California Assembly Member Alex Lee (author of AB 1819)
- Congressman Jamie Raskin (author of HR 6283)
- Free Speech For People's President John Bonifaz
- Former Seattle City Council President Lorena Gonzalez
- San Jose City Council Member David Cohen (San Jose Motion Author)
- MOVI's Michele Sutter
We'll need you to make sure the CA Legislature will protect American democracy from foreign influence.
- Read the Free Speech For People memo on AB 1819
- Read US Election Law
- Written Testimony from Federal Election Commissioner Ellen L. Weintraub
- Written Testimony from Laurence H. Tribe (Harvard Law School)
- Written Testimony from John C. Coates IV (Harvard Law School)
Want to know more about the campaign to get foreign money out of California Elections? Click here to request a speaker from MOVI at your organization's next online meeting.
NOW IN CONGRESS: HR 6283, Get Foreign Money Out of U.S. Elections Act (Rep. Jamie Raskin) HR 6283 would prohibit foreign influenced corporations from participating in US Elections.
Read Rep. Raskin's letter to the Security and Exchange Commission on why foreign influenced corporations should not participate in US elections.
With the passage of Prop 59 California voters instructed our elected officials “to use all of their constitutional authority” to deliver to the people of California an amendment to the US Constitution which would remove Big Money from our elections.
22 states have passed legislation instructing the US Congress to pass an amendment to overturn Citizens United. Virginia became the 22nd in January, 2021. When the Wyoming legislature introduced a 2017 bill to overturn Citizens United that left only 7 states in the entire country with no formal measures undertaken to overturn Citizens United.
Money Out Voters In, MOVI is an organization of democracy advocates dedicated to ending corporate rule and promoting civic engagement.
Money Out Voters In is a qualified 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed under the law.