THE 28TH AMENDMENT NATIONAL ROADSHOW
Never before in the history of the United States has our system been so openly corrupted by big money. Our democracy has been overtaken by corporate interests who have bought favor with politicians, putting up huge roadblocks to any legislation that benefits We The People. But all over the country people are also fighting back and demanding change.
Now is the time to take our power back!
• Over 80% of Americans support an amendment.
• Over 140 groups are working to GET THE MONEY OUT of politics
• 16 states and hundreds of cities have called for a constitutional amendment.
• The 113th Congress proposed 14 amendments
• Over 150 members of Congress support a constitutional amendment.
Why do we need a 28th Amendment National Roadshow?
Ever since the disastrous Citizens United people have been up in arms about the undue influence of big money in politics. But most Americans feel overwhelmed and believe that a Constitutional Amendment is too big a task and that it is just not possible in our current stalemate political climate. The media makes viewers feel disempowered and has failed to highlight the victories that groups are making to GET THE MONEY OUT.
Join us and help spread the word to your members and activists!
Working together The 28th Amendment National Roadshow will unify activists, educate everyday Americans and force the media and people running for office to talk about the future of the 28th Amendment to overturn Citizens United just before the important 2014 election.
• Immediately: Groups can partner to co-sponsor the national roadshow.
• Spring 2014 Preliminary West Coast Tour
• April 24 - UC-Berkeley Co-Sponsored/hosted by Common Cause Berkeley and Goldman School of Public Policy
• April 26 - UCLA Sponsored/hosted by Common Cause CA and American Constitutional Society UCLA Chapter
• May 2 - Seattle Fundraiser for WAmend
• May 3 - Seattle Sponsored/hosted by WAmend coalition
• May 4 - Portland Sponsored/hosted by OSPIRG; Partners: Oregon Democracy Coalition
• SANTA BARBARA CANCELLED DUE TO EARTH DAY CELEBRATIONS
• September/October 20+ City Tour
28th AMENDMENT NATIONAL ROAD SHOW TEMPLATE
8:30am: REGISTRATION & BREAKFAST
9:00am: WELCOME & KEYNOTE ADDRESS: The Problem with Money in Politics
10am: THE SCOPE OF THE ISSUE: The Corruption of our Political System: Why the SCOTUS IS WRONG
10:45am: PANEL Q&A
11:30am FILM – Pay 2 Play
2pm: FEDERAL CHALLENGES and SOLUTIONS:
Current legislative bills – (Sanders, Udall, Deutsch, etc. pros/cons)
3:30pm STATE SOLUTIONS: How to get there…
Example: Article 5 Amendments Convention, Amending State Constitutions, Campaign Finance Reform
5:00pm ORGANIZING TRAINING - How to be Heard: Lobbying and Taking Action
7pm: Entertainment – Comedy/Spoken Word/Whatever!